Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Crashes Exporting vCards from Palm Desktop on the Mac

Summary: Exporting from Palm Desktop 4.2.2 in vCal format crashes if an address type is set to None.

I've used Palms for a long time. I'm on my fourth, this one a Palm T|X, but previously it was a Sony CliƩ, and before that a Palm Vx and before that a Palm V. And I've synchronized these with many different things, on different operating systems. There's a lot of data there, and some of it is pretty long-lived, and who knows what's messed with it. Still, it functions fine in the Palm. At the moment I'm running Palm Desktop v4.2.2 on an Intel PowerMac.

Anyway, one thing I quite often seem to need to do is to export my addresses into vCards. At the time of writing, I have 852 entries, in about 20 categories. And the problem is, it crashes for some categories. This has been driving me mad as I've had to do manual binary searches to find the offending record in each category. And even, when I do, there's never anything obviously wrong with it.

Well, I think I've finally found out what's causing the problem.

It seems that my Palm Desktop crashes when it trie to export a vcard with an address whose type (on the drop-down above the address) is set to None. Fix that, and all is well.

Why would the type be set to None? Search me.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Naw, that doesn't seem to do it for me. I can't figure it out and it's driving me nuts.

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home